Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Amazing Flyers


I was so impressed with the time and work everyone put into their paper airplane designs yesterday!
Our plans ended up changing a bit. Due to the rain, we weren't able to go outside, so we set up in a long hallway. We taped a starting line to the carpet and watched in wonder (at least I did!) as plane after plane was released.I saw as many different shapes and sizes as there are birds flying in the air. Each plane seemed to have its own strength. Some were high flyers, some were twirlers, some soared gracefully and some just kept on going and going. Some were unique and interesting designs, some were decorated beautifully.
Our overall record distance flyer was Garrett! His plane flew 31 feet and 7 inches! Wow! Special mention also to Luke for his High Flyer award! His was the only plane to sustain a height for the entire flight, which was an impressive 28 feet and 3 inches. His design was pretty unique. The leading edge was wide, instead of pointy, so we had hypothesized that he would have good height on his flight. It was fun to see his plane do just that.

The class distance winners were as follows:
5th grade-Nathan 28 feet 11 inches
4th grade-Joshua H 28 feet 7 inches
3rd grade- Garrett 31 feet 7 inches
2nd grade- Lewis 17 feet 4 inches

The winning designs were all similar compact dart type planes. With just the right amount of thrust, they flew far. In class I showed the children the Blimp/Zeppelin. This is the world's easiest-to-make flyer, try it! I also showed them the helicopter.Check out Alex's paper airplanes for some unique and awesome designs if you want to do more at home.

No comments: